Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Tale of Two Lowe's

I went to both Lowe's this past week, the one on 8th ave/Martin court and the one in Whitehall off Macarthur road. What a huge difference.
Lets get the bad out of the way first, the Lowe's in Whitehall does not have that bright airy feel that the one in Bethlehem has, when you walk in there are things right in front of your face and unless you shop their regularly you will have a tough time navigating this place on a first visit. The employees there are lacking as well, All of them just walked past me, no greeting and no offer of assistance.
I had to ask two people for help and they were Okay then but again, I had to approach them.
Prices at lowe's are the same I would assume from store to store, so I won't go into that but I will say that I prefer Lowe's over Home depot any day.
I find Home depot boring, their is no curb appeal there is no fun shopping there. It is dark, hard to find my way around and the people are average. No reason to shop there.
The Lowe's on 8th ave in Bethlehem is a different story, granted I have run into the occasional ignorant employee but when you walk in, it is very open and clean, well organized and there is usually a greeter at the front offering to help you and they usually seem very interested in helping, not like they are being forced to stand there and they hate their job.
I like the flow of the store, I am not a contractor so I am not already in the know when it comes to what would be in plumbing or in tools etc - but I can navigate this store very well. Also they have little buzzers around for assistance, and I never wait more then a minute for someone to assist me once I push the button.
I redid most of my house and shopped at Lowe's on 8th ave, I bought carpet which I am very happy with, pergo, tiles, and a ton of other items.
The only thing I did not like was the fee you pay upfront to have someone come out and measure, but I understand that they are a contractor so they don't want to waste gas coming out if you are not buying.
In the end their price was the best so I went with them so that fee came off my final bill.
They helped me load my truck, they also honor the specials that Home Depot offer such as deferred interest specials.
I used a coupon I got online for signing up for emails which took a big chunk off that bill.
I would rate the Lowe's in Whitehall a 6 out of 10
and I would rate the Bethlehem Lowe's a 9 out of 10.
I have a very solid background in customer service and sales, I have trained and mentored people so I know what is good customer service and what is sub par and I refuse to tolerate sub par service. I do not cause a scene but I make a mental note and I share my opinion freely for all the world to see, sometimes all you get is that first impression and in this economy people need to make the best of that one opportunity.
Lowe's in Bethlehem on 8th ave and Martin Court is a store that never disappoints, so I congratulate them on their consistent good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment